20080625

Politics

I have always been into the political process. When I was a kid I would stay up 'till three in the morning watching C-SPAN. Does that make me a dork... probably. But I think it's important to be aware and also be involved. Eisenhower said that politics should be the part-time profession of every citizen. I couldn't agree more. I've never really considered myself a Democrat or a Republican. Personally I think that the two major parties are just different sides of the same coin. That's why in 2004 I became a Whig. I helped get the Florida Whig Party re-established and recently came in contact with a group called the Modern Whig Party. I consider myself a social libertarian and I'm probably on the liberal side when it comes to fiscal issues. I believe in the free market and a competetive economy but sometimes I think it's governments responsibility to make for a more level playing field. When government and corporations are too closely tied there's a problem. To me, that's where we're at and that's not where we need to be.

No comments: